Oh my dear Lord, that was the worst game of baseball I've ever seen
For the first time in my life, I didn't say "Congratulations to both teams on a well-played game." I couldn't say it. In the words of George Washington, after chopping down a cherry tree, "I cannot tell a lie." I thought last night's game was atrocious, but I was mistaken. Last night's game was less than good, for sooth, but tonight's game was truly atrocious. Like the title says, it was the worst game of baseball I've ever seen. CMC trounced, in the fullest sense of the word, JT Garry by a ridiculous margin of 22-1. For anyone who is not up on their Colonie Little League teams, there is no way CMC should be winning at all, let alone by 21 runs. But wait, there's more. I'm sure I've mentioned before that I hate political correctness. In this case, I'm not talking about the "(Adjective) American" kind of political correctness, but rather the "let's make everything perfectly fair for everyone so that no one wins and no one loses and everyone feels good about themselves and life is warm and fuzzy" kind of political correctness. Right now I can't decide which one bothers me more, but it's irrelevant. After CMC scored their 20th run in the top of the 6th inning (they were the visitors, so I had to sit through the excruciating bottom of the 6th as well), I was instructed to set the scoreboard back to zero so as not to, and I quote, "devastate" JT Garry. If people don't want to be "devastated," there are two options:
1. Don't play baseball
2. Don't suck at baseball
That's it. I shouldn't have to set the scoreboard to zero so that no one's feelings get hurt. The team with 22 runs deserves to have those 22 runs displayed on the score board. They earned them. I'm sick of this obnoxious, whiny, "it's not about winning, it's about having fun" crap. It is about winning. It's a freaking sport. The point of all sports is to win a competition of athletic prowess. Fun is secondary; if sports were solely about fun, would you play in miserable, uncomfortable weather? Of course not. What fun is it to be freezing your face off and stinging your hands every time you hit a ball? Would you practice at ridiculous hours? Of course not. What fun is it to wake up at the crack of dawn to do physical labor? Would you follow the rules? Of course not! Rules simply restrict otherwise uninhibited fun. It's all about winning, it's always been about winning, and it will never be about anything other than winning. In the wise words of Jeal Sutherland (who I never actually had for a coach, but that doesn't make the words any less wise), "You're not here to have fun. You're here to win." That's a winning attitude. It's also a fun attitude, because when you think that way you can take great joy at the prospect of squashing your opposition.
In general, people who make achievements should be rewarded, and people who don't should go unmentioned. If a team wins a baseball game, that team deserves recognition. The losing team deserves nothing. It is the obligation of the losing team to better themselves in preparation for the next contest. In this newfangled era where mediocrity reigns supreme, the exceptional are demoted to the average, and the sub-standard are credited for doing nothing. It's pretty annoying. What motivation does anyone have for doing anything other than sitting around like a lump? Besides the all-important fun, of course.
And, and, and, it's a heck of a lot more fun if you win. So even if it were about having fun rather than winning, it would still be about winning because winning is more fun than losing. The whole point is, I should have been able to keep the scoreboard at 20-0, because that, unlike 0-0, was the actual score of the game. The whole point of a scoreboard is to display the score of the game, hence the name "scoreboard."
I, being a fan of boots, personally find nothing wrong with Uggs. They aren't really ugly; they're just boots. However, crocs are completely intolerable. I also hate flip flops. I also also hate other assorted weird, pointless, stupid looking shoes, of which there are many and to which Meg is attracted like a magnet for some bizarre reason. It's incredible how often girls complain that shoes make their feet hurt, because about 95% of the time I just want to say "Why are you wearing them? They look stupid anyway." Unfortunately this is tactless, and girls don't listen to expert opinions anyway, so I spare some breath. Girls and shoes are pretty much incomprehensible. Anyway, I would rather a girl wear Uggs than flip flops any day, although I must admit that's a really dumb name.
Speaking of girls, I don't understand them. I think I have some fundamental flaw in my perception of females in general, because I always manage to think of girls differently than they actually exist. That probably makes no sense to anyone else, but I know what I'm talking about, so I don't care.
And now I'm going to bed, because tomorrow I have an action-packed four game Saturday at Colonie Little League. I can't wait for the excitement, the drama, the politics, and the non-stop scorekeeping action from 10 am until 6 pm.
The End
1. Don't play baseball
2. Don't suck at baseball
That's it. I shouldn't have to set the scoreboard to zero so that no one's feelings get hurt. The team with 22 runs deserves to have those 22 runs displayed on the score board. They earned them. I'm sick of this obnoxious, whiny, "it's not about winning, it's about having fun" crap. It is about winning. It's a freaking sport. The point of all sports is to win a competition of athletic prowess. Fun is secondary; if sports were solely about fun, would you play in miserable, uncomfortable weather? Of course not. What fun is it to be freezing your face off and stinging your hands every time you hit a ball? Would you practice at ridiculous hours? Of course not. What fun is it to wake up at the crack of dawn to do physical labor? Would you follow the rules? Of course not! Rules simply restrict otherwise uninhibited fun. It's all about winning, it's always been about winning, and it will never be about anything other than winning. In the wise words of Jeal Sutherland (who I never actually had for a coach, but that doesn't make the words any less wise), "You're not here to have fun. You're here to win." That's a winning attitude. It's also a fun attitude, because when you think that way you can take great joy at the prospect of squashing your opposition.
In general, people who make achievements should be rewarded, and people who don't should go unmentioned. If a team wins a baseball game, that team deserves recognition. The losing team deserves nothing. It is the obligation of the losing team to better themselves in preparation for the next contest. In this newfangled era where mediocrity reigns supreme, the exceptional are demoted to the average, and the sub-standard are credited for doing nothing. It's pretty annoying. What motivation does anyone have for doing anything other than sitting around like a lump? Besides the all-important fun, of course.
And, and, and, it's a heck of a lot more fun if you win. So even if it were about having fun rather than winning, it would still be about winning because winning is more fun than losing. The whole point is, I should have been able to keep the scoreboard at 20-0, because that, unlike 0-0, was the actual score of the game. The whole point of a scoreboard is to display the score of the game, hence the name "scoreboard."
I, being a fan of boots, personally find nothing wrong with Uggs. They aren't really ugly; they're just boots. However, crocs are completely intolerable. I also hate flip flops. I also also hate other assorted weird, pointless, stupid looking shoes, of which there are many and to which Meg is attracted like a magnet for some bizarre reason. It's incredible how often girls complain that shoes make their feet hurt, because about 95% of the time I just want to say "Why are you wearing them? They look stupid anyway." Unfortunately this is tactless, and girls don't listen to expert opinions anyway, so I spare some breath. Girls and shoes are pretty much incomprehensible. Anyway, I would rather a girl wear Uggs than flip flops any day, although I must admit that's a really dumb name.
Speaking of girls, I don't understand them. I think I have some fundamental flaw in my perception of females in general, because I always manage to think of girls differently than they actually exist. That probably makes no sense to anyone else, but I know what I'm talking about, so I don't care.
And now I'm going to bed, because tomorrow I have an action-packed four game Saturday at Colonie Little League. I can't wait for the excitement, the drama, the politics, and the non-stop scorekeeping action from 10 am until 6 pm.
The End

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home